Saturday, November 19, 2016

Three More Interesting Dur-O-Lites

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I’ve collected Dur-O-Lites in much the same way I started collecting Sheaffer pencils: when I get a mess of pencils, all the Dur-O-Lites go into the Dur-O-Lite pile for the day when I get around to organizing them.

I’m just now getting around to organizing them.  Here’s a couple neat ones I’ve been meaning to write about:


The top one is interesting because, in addition to that wild color, it’s in a size I haven’t seen before.  It’s the length of a regular Dur-O-Lite ringtop, but with a side clip:


And that blue one?  It’s a utility pencil, with an exposed eraser and that Wahl-style clip.  What sets it apart, like that first one, is the size.  Here it is, compared with what I’d expect to see:


It’s a slim version of the utility pencil, with a specially-sized clip to boot.

This third one is one you’ve seen here before, but the one you saw wasn’t in my collection.  I’ll admit to a bit of Dur-O-Lite envy when John Coleman sent me pictures of the one he had like this one (the article was posted two years ago at http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2014/10/this-one-elevated-my-understanding.html):


It came along with a few hundred pencils in a collection I purchased at the DC show – one of the ones at the bottom of the bins that I didn’t know was in there before I bought the whole bunch.  It was a pleasant surprise to see an Otis Elevator perpetual calendar advertising pencil I didn’t know was there pop out:


I don’t have any new revelations for you on this one - just thought I’d take the opportunity to post a couple neat pictures of this one while I was on the subject.

No comments: