Sunday, December 14, 2014

Why Didn't Anyone Roll This Before?

It seems like a lot of pencil brand names might have been concocted using a pair of dice with short words instead of numbers on the different sides. Roll once . . . "Ever" and "Sharp." Walter Sheaffer rolls . . . "Sharp" and "Point." American Lead Pencil gets "Ever" and "Point." "Rite" and "Point" goes to . . . ok, you get my drift.

I found the first one of these about five years ago, during one of my annual stops at the Barnesville Antique Mall in Barnesville, Ohio on the way to the DC Supershow:


I remember feeling ridiculous paying more than a buck or two for it, but it was the only thing in the entire mall that piqued my interest during that visit and so I sprung for it just so I wouldn’t get skunked

If I had to guess who might have made them, I’d say Lipic (note particularly that bottom example with the lower joint). The clips on these read "Sharpencil"

To learn more, this full article is included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3, available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and everywhere else you buy books, or you can order a copy signed by yours truly through the Legendary Lead Company HERE.

No comments: