Monday, July 1, 2013

Soooooooo Close!

NOTE:  This article contains some errors.  See "Back To The Drawing Board" posted July 5, 2013.

When I wrote my recent article on what the first Ever Sharps looked like, just a couple weeks ago, I honestly wasn’t writing it thinking that anyone out there was going to email my right back and say "oh yeah, I’ve got one right here." I’m patient. I assumed that it might be years from now that someone would write me an email that started with "I was researching this pencil I have, and I found your article on the Internet . . . "

I really wasn’t expecting someone to email me within days with something sooooooo close (I’d add a few more "o"s, but you get the picture) to what it is that we are hunting for. John Coleman, who like many of us pencil collectors has collected in a relative vacuum of information, stumbled across my blog here and has been sending me some pictures of things he’s had laying about for awhile, one of which was this:


It’s obviously an Eversharp mechanism, but to be more correct, it’s a pre-Eversharp mechanism. Note the imprint:


"EXTRA LEADS BLACK 25c, INDELIBLE 35c/
KEERAN & CO. BLOOMINGTON, ILL."

To learn more, this full article is included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 2, available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and everywhere else you buy books, or you can order a copy signed by yours truly through the Legendary Lead Company HERE.



No comments: