Monday, February 16, 2015

Welcome to the Family

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

A new (to me) member of the W.S. Hicks / Edward Todd family of pencils recently came my way that was neither marked Hicks nor Edward Todd:


I picked this one up from Tom Heath at the Philadelphia Show last month. It’s a pretty good match for a Hicks I picked up at the Ohio Show’s Saturday night auction in November:


Both share the same dimensions, pattern and that distinctive turned-up clip:


Don’t let the color fool you – these have even more in common than you might think.


That gold fill is over sterling, a material called "vermeil." As an aside, all the sources I’ve read indicate that it’s all right to pronounce that word either as "ver-meal" or "vermay," probably depending on whether you have the urge to extend your pinky as you drink a beverage. The hallmark is at the right - W. S. Hicks.

However, the all-sterling example I picked up from Tom has a different imprint:


"B.S. & G." A little snooping around suggested that the acronym stands for Black, Starr & Gorham, which according to The Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks and Makers’ Marks (http://925-1000.com/americansilver_B4.html) was in business from 1940 to 1962. One source (http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein462) indicates that in 1929, The Gorham Manufacturing Company merged with Black, Starr & Frost to become Black, Starr & Frost-Gorham, Inc., which was shortened to Black, Starr & Gorham in 1940. According to Black, Starr & Frost’s website (http://www.blackstarandfrost.com/bsf-legacy/timeline/), Gorham parted ways with their firm in early 1962.

I was glad to see that Black, Starr & Frost has added a page with some information about the company’s history, and I like to think I might have had something to do with it. A couple years ago, I called the company to ask them what they knew about this pencil, and I was told that the new owners of the company had no company archives to consult:


This is a large, heavy pencil with great detailing at either end:


"Black, Starr & Frost" is stamped on the barrel just above the nose:


On the nose, there’s a hand-engraved serial number and a little acorn after the word "sterling" . . .


. . . just like the serial number engraved on the 14-karat Hicks I posted a couple days ago:


And the acorn hallmark was a W.S. Hicks hallmark.

Black, Starr & Frost’s website dates the Gorham merger to 1920, nine years earlier than the other sources out there; unfortunately, while I applaud BS&F’s efforts to learn about its own past, I believe the other sources I’ve read as opposed to the company’s (reconstructed) account of its history. In support of a late-1920s merger, here’s a 1925 advertisement from Country Life, which doesn’t mention Gorham:


I think my Black, Starr & Frost pencil was made prior to 1929, and my "BS&G" pencil was made right around 1940 . . . and I think all the pencils associated with Black, Starr and Frost – with or without Gorham along as a partner – were made by W.S. Hicks.

No comments: