Monday, February 9, 2015

An Interesting Transition

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

One of my favorite parts of collecting is when I turn up "missing links" – those hilly, rocky paths in between the roads well traveled. Dur-O-Lites come in a wide range of varieties, but the middle one in this picture, which turned up in a junk box for a buck at the local flea market, proved to be really interesting:


The top example is a Dur-O-Lite "Ejector Pencil." I picked this one up from my friend Mike Kirk a few years ago, and it remains one of my all-time favorites – I’ve shown it off here before, and I couldn’t resist the urge to do it again. The Ejectors were a repeater-style pencil with a screw-drive eraser integrated into the top button:


The bottom example in that first picture is a typical Dur-O-Lite nose drive pencil, with a cap that pulls off to reveal an eraser underneath.

And then there’s that middle example . . .



. . . with the nose of a regular Dur-O-Lite screw drive pencil, and a top taken from a Dur-O-Lite Ejector – complete with a "button" that doesn’t do anything. The side of the top button assembly is unmarked, and I don’t have any Ejectors (or their predecessors, the "Dur-O-Matic") with a black plastic button.


The mix looks so natural that I have no idea how many of these I’ve breezed right on by. Whether these were a transitional model, or the sporadic repurposing of leftover Ejector parts, isn’t a question I’m prepared to answer yet.

No comments: