Thursday, February 7, 2013

Might As Well

"I’m going to try to buy something today," I told Janet as we were heading out to the Scott Antique Market last month. She looked at me a little confused.

"I mean online," I clarified. "There’s something closing today and I put in a big bid on it."

I was half hoping that I would get outbid quickly. My bid was very healthy, more than I usually spend at the Scott Antique Market in an entire day of shopping over there, but still I figured it wasn't enough. Since I didn't feel right blowing that much money in one day between the online auctions and the show, I figured the minute someone outgunned me online, I’d get to relax at the show and loosen up my wallet a little.

The bidding online stalled out at just a hair under four hundred dollars with an hour and a half or so left to go. I wandered aimlessly up and down the aisles at the antique show, afraid to spend any real money until I knew the auction results and making mental notes of the things I’d swing back around for later if I hadn’t already busted the bank for the day. Every time I saw something interesting, I checked my phone to check the status of my bid. Yeah. I was that guy.

But as the online clock ticked down to zero, no one else came forward with another bid. My budget was toast, and for the most part, my trip to the Scott Antique Market was mostly just a leisurely walk around the room. Still, I was very happy.

So what had me stingier than a pre-Christmas Eve Scrooge at an antique show?


To learn more, this full article is included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 2, available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and everywhere else you buy books, or you can order a copy signed by yours truly through the Legendary Lead Company HERE.



No comments: